Position: Associate Editor, Global Investigative Journalism Network
This job post is now closed.
The Global Investigative Journalism Network, a fast-growing nonprofit that provides support to investigative reporters worldwide, is looking for an associate editor to assist the managing editor with producing and uploading content to our website.
GIJN is an association of more than 200 organizations in 80 countries dedicated to spreading and advancing investigative journalism around the world. This is a unique chance to be at the center of the global hub servicing the world’s investigative journalists at a time of unprecedented opportunities and challenges. You’ll work with a dynamic international team, spreading tips, tools, case studies, and resources about quality investigative and data journalism around the world in eight languages.
Applicants must have a solid understanding of investigative journalism, and a passion for innovation and the sustainability of the craft. A background in writing, editing, copy-editing, and proofing in an online news environment is a must. Experience with digital storytelling tools, editorial project management, photography, and graphics is a big plus. The position reports to our managing editor, who is currently based in California, but the successful candidate can be based anywhere in North or Central American time zones or have a willingness to work similar hours.
- Work with managing editor and regional editors to manage, produce, and upload content for GIJN’s websites
- Write and edit English language stories
- Commission stories and arrange for reprints and extracts
- Assist with creative solutions to story distribution across social platforms
- Excellent English writing, editing, copy-editing, and proofing skills
- Five years of experience as an editor in an online news environment
- Interest in investigative and data journalism, innovation, and sustainability models
- Global journalism perspective
- Ability to work independently and responsibly in a decentralized organization
- Highly organized
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-cultural environment
- Proficiency in WordPress and online project management tools or a willingness to learn
- Experience in graphics and image production, digital storytelling, project management, and design hugely valued
- Any additional languages a major plus
Location: Flexible. GIJN is a virtual nonprofit. You’ll need good, dependable broadband.
Salary: We’re a nonprofit but we pay a living wage. Salary will depend on experience.
Note: GIJN is a strong believer in diversity and welcomes applicants regardless of race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, or disability.
Check out GIJN’s other available positions.
To apply, fill in the embedded form below.