GIJN added a new video series this week, Making Investigative Journalism Sustainable: Best Business Practices. This set of key tips features 10 leading journalists and experts from around the world who are either working to build viable organizations around investigative journalism or work as experts to support these enterprises. Despite their very different contexts, similar themes emerge from these experts -- know your audience, diversify revenue sources, find your own niche, and don’t try to do too many things at once. Also make sure you have a robust business plan and can run your organization effectively, don’t give up on fundraising, and commit to fundraising well.
This US-centered guide walks media groups through the process of landing grants for journalism projects and capturing the interest of the growing pool of funders interested in supporting news. While written for an American audience, it includes helpful points like finding grants that fit your organization’s goals, building relationships with funders, and crafting effective grant applications. Also included: how to handle grant rejection, how to draft a budget, and a glossary of philanthropy terms.
Source: Better News
France opened a preliminary investigation of shady French finance trails involving unnamed individuals who are suspected of a role in the killing of Maltese investigative journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia. The investigation will try to establish if monies in France helped support corrupt foreign public officials. A statement from the prosecutors did not specify if the corrupt foreign officials in question were from Malta, but said the French anti-corruption office would cooperate closely with Maltese authorities. The investigation came after the slain journalist's family and Reporters Without Borders filed a complaint in France.
Source: New York Times
Covering Climate Now -- the joint initiative of The Nation and Columbia Journalism Review, which now has more than 400 news outlet partners -- drove a major increase in climate coverage in September by collaborating on one week of stories in the lead-up to the UN Climate Action Summit. This week the group announced its next week of collaborative coverage for April 19-26, chosen to coincide with the 50th anniversary of Earth Day on April 22. The theme is "climate solutions" and includes emphasizing coverage of technological fixes such as solar panels or sea walls, but also efforts to put a price on carbon or halt fossil fuel subsidies.
Source: Covering Climate Now
Microsoft's new Content Insights and Discovery Accelerator, or IDA, can analyze hundreds of thousands documents or long video footage within seconds. Combining artificial intelligence, object vision, and optical character recognition, IDA can analyze pages and extract text, images, and other key data. It also helps journalists search long videos, identifying faces or keywords, and provides searchable footage transcript. IDA is 80% developed and the other 20% is customizable with your own developer so you can add features or data for analytics that matter the most to your reporting.
On Tuesday, Jigsaw, a company that develops cutting-edge tech and is owned by Google’s parent, unveiled a free tool that researchers said could help journalists spot doctored photographs — even ones created with the help of artificial intelligence. Jigsaw, known as Google Ideas when it was founded, said it was testing the tool, called Assembler, with more than a dozen news and fact-checking organizations around the world. They include Animal Politico in Mexico, Rappler in the Philippines and Agence France-Presse. It does not plan to offer the tool to the public.
Source: New York Times