The CNN MultiChoice African Journalist Competition is the most prestigious and respected Award for journalists across the African Continent. Its objective is to reinforce the importance of the role of journalists in Africa’s development and to reward, recognise and encourage journalistic talent across all media disciplines. The ‘CNN African Journalist of the Year Competition’ was established in August 1995 to encourage, promote and recognise excellence in African journalism. Closing date is 26 January 2012
Who can enter
You must be an African National, working on the continent for African owned, or headquartered, media organisations. Your work must have appeared in printed publications or electronic media that is primarily targeted at and received by an African audience.
What the judges are looking for
Our panel of independent, highly respected and experienced judges are in pursuit of excellence. They will be looking for entries which:
- Tell the story in a balanced, comprehensive and objective manner
- Demonstrate journalistic integrity and resourcefulness
- Communicate the story in a way that makes the topic accessible and relevant to their audience
- Display well organised research and insight
- Was broadcast or published, in English, French or Portuguese only, between January and December 2011 with proof supplied
Entries must be received at the collection points by JANUARY 26th 2012, no exceptions will be made. Entries received after this date may be disqualified.
The journalists selected by our panel of judges will enjoy an all expenses paid finalists’ programme of networking activities and workshops, culminating in the Gala Awards Ceremony. Each finalist will receive a cash prize, with each category winner also receiving a laptop computer and printer.
The CNN MultiChoice African Journalist 2012 Award winner will be selected from the category winners and will receive an additional cash prize and will have the opportunity to participate in the CNN Journalism Fellowship at CNN Headquarters in Atlanta.
How to enter
- You can only enter a maximum of 2 stories across all categories. Please carefully review your work of 2011 and enter your best story/stories in the most suitable category. You may enter a maximum of 2 stories, either both into a single category or 1 each into different categories. Please send your entry/entries in one envelope.
- Fill in all the details requested on the form (copies accepted), please print clearly and provide all requested information.
- Ensure you include a copy of your up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and any background information on your entry/entries, that you feel relevant.
- Send 2 copies of your work – Print journalists & cartoonists send the original article and a clean, legible photocopy of the entry; Online please send full URL details (No print outs will be accepted); TV & Radio – please send 2 disks/tapes (DVD/VHS or CD); Photojournalist – please send original photo(s) and CD containing your picture(s).
- Get your entry to the collection point nearest to you by January 26th 2012 latest. No extension will be made to this date.
CNN MultiChoice African Journalist Awards 2012 entry forms
More information: http://www.cnn.com/africanawards